Tired of jumping between documents to Copy and Paste various bits and pieces of information and text?
Microsoft’s Spike is the answer. The Spike is a little known clipboard feature of Microsoft Word. You are able to selext two or move items ( text, words, paragraphs, graphics) from various locations in a document or different documents, and then insert the items as a group in a new location or document. They are pasted in the order in which they were selected.
To move items to and from the” Spike”:
- Select the text or graphic you want to move, and then press
Ctrl-F3 (in Windows) or
Command-F3 (on a Mac).
- Repeat this step for each additional item you want to move to the Spike.
- Click in the document where you want to insert the Spike’s contents.
- To insert the Spike’s contents and empty the Spike, press
Ctrl-Shift-F3 (in Windows) or
Command-Shift-F3 (on a Mac).
The one drawback is that when you select the text it “cuts” rather than copy. Be careful not to save the original document with the missing text unless you intend to.
While we have been promised the next version of Powerschool will fix the issue (when have you heard that before?) Mike Dickinison has some words of wisdom…
….getting annoyed and frustrated with PowerSchool’s and Microsoft’s inability to talk to each other.
Yes – I’m talking about the ‘apostrophes’, “quotes” and -hyphens- being changed into ?question marks? as you paste your reports from MS Word into your Gradebook.
NEED AN EASY SOLUTION? Well easy-ish anyway. Try this.
Before you start to type your semester comments in MS Word
TURN OFF THE AUTO-FORMAT AS YOU TYPE OPTIONS
1. In MS Word click Tools -> “Autocorrect Options” (you may need to linger a moment so that the full dropdown menu reveals itself)
2. Select the “AutoFormat As You Type” tab.
3. Uncheck the top 4-5 boxes (the ones you want to stop autoformatting).
4. Click OK and give it a try by typing something containing quotes, hyphens and apostrophes and pasting into your gradebook.
PS – Just reverse this if you want to have MS Word autoformat for you
again after your reports are written